October is known as Breast cancer awareness month, that intent to educate people about the importance of early screening, blood test and much more about breast cancer.
Breast cancer starts in the tissues of breast. Breast cancer can be broadly classified into 2 types namely-
- Ductal cancer- starts from the ducts or tubes of the breast that move milk to nipple.
- Lobular cancer- Starts at the lobules of breast.
Some of the conventional line of treatment for breast cancer are Chemotherapy, Radiation therapy, hormonal therapy and surgery to remove the tumor. All these have their own side effect on the patient body post treatment, but with Ayurvedic medicine one can get faster results of healing. Ayurvedic medicine acts as a co-therapy or as an adjuvant for the patient undergoing the treatment of Breast Cancer.
According to Ayurveda, breast cancer is caused due to imbalance in 3 Doshas namely Vata, Pitta, Kapha. When there is increase in Kapha and dysfunction in metabolism, Kapha starts to accumulate at one place forming cysts or tumor.
Once the tumor is surgically removed, the very next is the process of healing and preventing the cancer-causing cells to spread to another site. By Ayurvedic medicine this can be treated by improving the body immunity.
Few of the Ayurvedic home remedies for breast cancer patient who have already undergone Surgery Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy are as follows-
- 10 grams of Ashwagnadha powder is to be mixed in 250 ml of hot milk and should be taken during bed time. This will help in eliminating stress, weakness and fatigue caused due to Chemotherapy.
- Curcuma Longa or Turmeric- 5 grams of turmeric is to be taken with 1 teaspoon of honey after food. Following this medication regularly will help in reducing the free radicles from the body.
- Dry Ginger powder 50 grams+ Powdered Terminalia chebula 50 grams+ Turmeric 50 grams are to be mixed well and stored in an airtight container. This mixture is to be taken 5 grams in the morning and 5 grams in the night ,30 minutes before having food. This will help to stop abnormal growth of cancer cells.
- Use of 10 grams of fenugreek powder with hot water in empty stomach during the early morning hours helps to stop glucose supply to cancer cells and hence the cancer cells will be deprived of food and die.
- Having 3 grams of turmeric powder mixed with milk during bed time will act as an antioxidant, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and as anti-septic.
- Tulsi ( Indian Basil) has phytochemicals which prevent cancer cells growth and it also increases anti-oxidant property which inhibits the cancer cells to spread. So, Breast cancer patient should be encouraged to take 10 ml of Tulasi ( Indian Basil) juice in empty stomach during morning hours.
- YOGASANA which can be practiced after the treatment of Breast Cancer-
Gomukasana( Cow like Posture)
Bhujangasana( Cobra Poture)
Veerabhadrasana 1 and 2 ( Warrior posture 1 and 2)
- PRANAYAMA which can be practiced after the treatment of Breast Cancer-
Nadi Shodhana Pranayama.
Dr. Sindhu Prashanth B.A.M.S, M.D( A.M), M.Sc (Yoga)
Dr. Sindhu Prashanth is a noted Ayurvedic doctor, practicing in Bangalore from more than 9 years. She has extensive experience in field of Ayurveda and Yoga for preventive Care, Chronic disease management and cure, Stress management, Ayurvedic Dietic, Life style management. She has been doing an extensive study in Prenatal Yoga and shortly coming up with a book exclusively for pregnancy Yoga.
You can reach Dr. Sindhu Prashanth on +91 9743857575