In a tragic incident, at least 10 people, including two children, died and about 80 others took ill, today, after consuming ‘prasadam’ at a temple at Sulivadi village in Chamarajnagar district of Karnataka.
According to police, the condition of 12 people was critical and they have been taken to Mysuru for treatment. The deceased have been identified as Gopiyamma (55), Pappanna (50), Shantha (20), Anitha 14 and Anil (12).
District Health Officer Prasad said it was suspected that poison might have got mixed with the ‘prasadam’. “We have collected the samples and sent it to a laboratory for investigation,” he added.
Police said that the foundation laying ceremony of Maramma temple was organised yesterday morning and prasadam was distributed after the function. Most of those who attended the event followed the ‘Om Shakti’ tradition.
After consuming the prasadam, people started vomiting and began writhing with stomach pain. Commotion prevailed as people hurried to nearby hospitals for treatment. Police rushed to the spot, as also district authorities, to provide medical aid.
During treatment, five people breathed their last — two at a hospital at Kamagere, two others at a hospital at Kollegala and one at hospital in Ramapura, police said.
Expressing shock over the incident, chief minister HD Kumaraswamy said he has directed the authorities to make all arrangements for the treatment of the affected people. The affected people said they got the smell of kerosene oil in the prasad, but ignored it.