Major fire breaks out at Hyderabad Numaish exhibition

A major fire broke out late last evening ongoing Numaish at the Exhibition Grounds in Nampally. Hyderabad, over 300 stalls were gutted. Even as firefighters were battling the flames with more than 10 fire engines positioned on the spot, at least seven people were rushed to the Osmania General Hospital after they complained of suffocation. Two persons were shifted to Care Hospital in Nampally. Their condition was later stated to be stable.

However, no casualties were reported, though there was widespread panic on the spot, with visitors who were thronging the venue running to safer areas. Tension prevailed in the area as police began evacuating all the stalls and the entire crowd in the area.

Ruined stall owners in the Nampally exhibition fire accident, unofficially estimating the financial loss in crores.The clothes stall owners said nothing left in their hands and everything in the stall burnt in the fire accident.

Since more than 200 stalls of clothes and dry fruits turned to ashes they are suspecting each stall owner loss in lakhs.

Fire Services officials, who said the cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained, said fire tenders from all nearest fire stations were deployed to carry out the firefighting operations. Petty business families from Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Jammu and  Kashmir as a routine business every year came to the exhibition and opened their stalls. As the local, national and international visitors visit to the exhibition and business happens in crores, many petty business families installed their stalls to get profits. But due to the fire accident their investment gutted before their eyes and they incurred huge losses.

The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation also pressed into service its Disaster Response Force teams to the spot. Top officials including Mayor Bonthu Rammohan and City Police Commissioner Anjani Kumar were on the spot supervising the firefighting operation.

According to eye witness accounts, shop keepers and traffic authorities who were working at Numaish, the fire reportedly originated from a spark in a bank ATM located near the VIP gate of the Exhibition Grounds.

A series of ATM machines belonging to a clutch of banks were set up at the VIP entrance of the Exhibition Grounds. According to shop owners, a water purifier company had set up a stall nearby and many volunteers collected water from this stall and tried to douse the fire.

For Local News and Immediate Delivery, download our Android App