SC summons CBI’s Nageswar Rao for contempt of court

The Supreme Court today issued a contempt of court notice to M Nageshwar Rao, who was made the interim CBI director last year by the Modi government. It has asked Nageshwar Rao to appear before it on February 12. The court said Nageswara Rao has prima facie committed contempt of court by transferring CBI officer AK Sharma, who was investing the Muzaffarpur shelter home rape case, without taking the court’s consent

The court has also directed S Bhasu Ram, in-charge Director of Prosecution CBI, to be present in the court for violating its order. The court has directed the CBI to give names of officers who were part of the process in transferring AK Sharma out of the investigating agency.

The Apex court has expressed anger over the laxity in the investigation into rapes of children in Bihar’s government-run shelter homes and accused Nageswara Rao of contempt. Rao was responsible for the transfer of AK Sharma, the officer supervising the case, which the court is monitoring. The top court today said the transfer has taken place despite its “embargo”. 

Remarking that Rao and Bhasuran, the prosecution in-charge, have committed contempt, Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi said, “You have played with our orders. God help you”.

Earlier, in the morning, the Centre got pulled up for transferring joint director AK Sharma. “How can he be transferred by the Centre when the Supreme Court said he must not be shifted?” the furious Chief Justice had questioned.  The agency was asked to inform the court that whether the panel, which transfers officers, was aware of the “embargo” and was ordered to do so in writing – by 2 pm.

For Local News and Immediate Delivery, download our Android App