Asian snooker meet cancelled in Bengaluru

After India refused visas to six Pakistani and Pakistan-origin players, the Asian snooker meet, scheduled to be held in Bengaluru next week, has been cancelled. This cancellation was made two days after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided to “suspend all discussions” with India regarding hosting of global sporting events, after Pakistani shooters were not issued visas for the World Cup in New Delhi.

In the developments aftermath of Pulwama terror strike, IOC said that it will not allow India to organise any Olympic-related events in future, unless written assurances are obtained from the government.

“The Asian Tour supposed to be held in Bangalore in late March has been called off. It was a decision taken by the Asian Confederation of Billiard Sport’s board. Six players out of the 24 were either Pakistani nationals or of Pakistani origin. There were problems with their visas,” said BSFI secretary S Balasubramiam.

“In the absence of these players, there was no point in having a tournament so they did not want to have it. The decision came much before the IOC issued a statement on Friday,” he added.

The Asian Tour 10 Reds Snooker tournament was to be held in the last week of March, with 24 players taking part in it. This is the first instance of a tournament being cancelled because the government denied visas to Pakistani athletes.

For Local News and Immediate Delivery, download our Android App