5 Indians among 290 killed in Sri Lanka Easter blasts

The death toll from attacks on churches and luxury hotels across Sri Lanka rose significantly to 290, and about 500 people were also wounded. At least 24 suspects have been arrested so far. However, the details of the people in the custody have not been disclosed yet.

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj confirmed that five Indians were among those killed in the bombings in Sri Lanka. Their names are Lakshmi, Narayan Chandrashekhar, Ramesh, KG Hanumantharayappa and M Rangappa, she said adding further details are being ascertained. Swaraj, in a series of tweets, said the Indian High Commission in Colombo has conveyed that a hospital informed it about deaths of the five Indians in the blasts.

Swaraj also confirmed that the Indian Visa application centre in the island country, IVS LANKA will remain closed for two days, starting from Monday.

Eight apparently co-ordinated explosions targeted Easter worshippers and high end hotels popular with international guests. An improvised bomb discovered at the main airport in Colombo was defused late Sunday, police said. A nationwide curfew imposed yesterday shortly after the blasts. It was lifted early today. There was still a heavy security presence at the city’s St Sebastien’s Church, the scene of one of the devastating blasts.

For Local News and Immediate Delivery, download our Android App