Sri Lanka authorities are suspecting that Sunday’s deadly terror strikes in the country are the handiwork of a local outfit National Tawheed Jamath and all the suicide bombers are Sri Lanka nationals.
Health Minister and the government spokesman, Rajitha Senaratne, also said that all suicide bombers involved in the blasts are believed to be Sri Lankan nationals. He said that the Chief of National Intelligence had warned the Inspector General of Police (IGP) regarding the probable attacks before April 11. “On April 4, international intelligence agencies had warned of these attacks. The IGP was informed on April 9,” he added.
He said that the local outfit identified as the National Tawheed Jamath – a radical Muslim group – is suspected of plotting the deadly explosions. “There may be international links to them,” he added. Senaratne sought resignation of police chief Pujith Jayasundera in view of the major security lapse.
President Maithripala Sirisena today said a state of emergency will be declared from midnight today and 23rd April will be considered as the Day of National Mourning for the victims of the multiple blasts.
Meanwhile, Rauff Hakeem, a government minister and the leader of the main Muslim party – Sri Lanka Muslim Congress, said that it was lamentable that no preventive action had been taken despite the inputs. “They have known this, the names have been given, identified, but (they) took no action,” he added.