Sri Lanka Blasts: Death Toll Rises to 359; Government Plans to Impose Ban on Burqa

The death toll in Sunday’s serial blasts in Sri Lanka has risen to 359 and whose responsibility was taken by the Islamic State, the government is now considering to impose a burqa ban.The authorities are considering burqa ban in consultation with Muslim community leaders. The issue has also been discussed with President Maithripala Sirisena.

Sri Lanka defence sources indicates that several female accomplices involved in Dematagoda attack had escaped wearing burqas. Several firearms were discovered in Dematagoda, a suburb of Colombo in the aftermath of Sunday’s terror attack.

Meanwhile, an MP of ruling United National Party (UNP), Ashu Marasinghe introduced a private member’s motion in the Sri Lankan parliament calling for a ban on burqa. He was quoted by local media as saying, “I propose that a ban be imposed on wearing of the burqa based on the national security requirement of the country”. While saying that Burqa was not a traditional Muslim costume recommended by Islam, he said,” Our move has the blessings of Islamic scholars”.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe admitted that there had been prior intelligence warnings about the attacks in the country, including on the Indian High Commission in Colombo. He also said that there will be changes in the top positions of the security establishment following the deadly Easter Sunday suicide bombings.

For Local News and Immediate Delivery, download our Android App