‘Surgical strikes’ took place before Modi too : Lt Gen Hooda

Prime Minister Narendra Modi claims that he is only having `guts’ to engineer `surgical strikes’ against terrorists crossing borders has been generating intense political debate. While Congress claimed of resorting to six such strikes during UPA regime, PM Modi dismissed it stating may be operations in video games. Moreover, former army chief and union minister Gen V K Singh  also said that he too not having such knowledge.

However, Let Gen (Retd) DS Hooda, who was the  hero of 2016 surgical s trike, asserted today that crossed border armed operations against terrorists were carried out even before the current dispensation led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Lt Gen Hooda said: “As has been said by many people and ex-veterans as well that surgical strike or cross border operations have been carried out in the past by the Army too, but I am not aware of the exact date and areas.”

“But, certainly, cross border operations in the past by the Indian Army across the Line of Control (LoC) have been carried out,” said Lt Gen Hooda, who is considered as the chief architect of the 2016 surgical strikes.

Earlier in the day, the BJP claimed that no surgical strike was carried out during the previous regimes. “Surgical strike happened for the first time on September 29, 2016. There is no record of surgical strikes before this. This information has been given by the Director General, Military Operations in an RTI reply,” said BJP spokesperson GVL Narasimha Rao.

Meanwhile, on Thursday, the Congress party had claimed that six surgical strikes were conducted during the regime of former Prime Minister Singh from 2004 to 2014.

For Local News and Immediate Delivery, download our Android App