Army says no record of surgical strike before 2016

Disputing with Congress claims of resorting surgical strikes during UPA regime too, the Indian Army asserted that it did not have any data about them. Replying to surgical strikes if carried out before September 29, 2016,  Director General Military Operations (DGMO) of the Indian Army said in response to an RTI filed by Jammu-based activist Rohit Choudhary.

Chaudhary had asked about the number of surgical strikes on Pakistan between 2004 and 2014, and after September 2014. He had also sought to know how many of those were successful. Last year also, replying to an RTI by PTI, the Army had stated that a “surgical strike” was carried out on September 29, 2016. “This section does not maintain records of any other surgical strikes if any conducted earlier,” it said.

Last week, Manmohan Singh had stirred the hornet’s nest by saying in an interview that the Army had in the past, during his tenure as PM of UPA government, conducted multiple surgical strikes on Pakistan. “Multiple surgical strikes took place during our tenure, too. For us, military operations were meant for strategic deterrence and giving a befitting reply to anti-India forces than to be used for vote garnering exercises,” he had said in his interview to a leading daily.

The BJP had questioned Singh’s claims and said the Congress had a “habit of lying”.  PM Modi had said the Congress could claim any number of surgical strikes because it was a lie anyway.

For Local News and Immediate Delivery, download our Android App